$301 or more
$$$$

Cap Juluca
Carimar Beach Club
Coccoloba Club Valtur
Cove Castles
Malliouhana
Sonesta

 November 1, 1998 - Site Map - Click to enlarge pictures

Anguilla Hotel Guide, hotels.ai

The Anguilla Local News presents you with a new guide to 37 hotels, inns, resorts and guest houses where you can stay: hotels.ai This directory groups accommodations by price, based on the lowest double rate in the high season. Hotels also have specials and greatly reduced rates in the low season (April 15 to Dec 14), and prices do change over time. Be sure to visit the hotel's web site and inquire about exact pricing.

How To Read a Sample Entry

Click on the round balls in the sample entry to link to web information about Frangipani Beach Club, or the "map" button to see where the hotel is in Anguilla.

Frangipani Beach Club Meads Bay Show map location $300

Phone: 264-497-6442
Fax: 264-497-6440
Tollfree: 800-892-4564
Email: [email protected]
Honeymoon and other packages
Official web page More Info Link Visitor report Visitor report News article News article 17 units

On the beachAir conditioningTennisRestaurantKitchens

Here is what the icons and buttons in the listings mean:

Official web pageOfficial Web Page More Info linkMore Info Visitor reportReview News articleNews.ai Show map locationWhere? Air conditioningAirco Swimming PoolPool RestaurantRestaurant On the beachBeach TennisTennis KitchensKichens Children RestrictedChildren Restricted Pets OkayPets Allowed

The round balls are links to other information on the Internet: home pages, other web pages, visitor reports, and news articles. Click on them to find out a great deal about each property.

The Map icon links to a map of Anguilla with a pointer to the location of the hotel. This map is created dynamically for each location using a technology developed by Vince Cate of Offshore Information Services and Bob Green of the Anguilla Local News. If you are creating an Anguilla web page, you can use the service to provide a customized map for yourself. For details, read this page.

And don't forget that there are also Vacation Villas in Anguilla. For a complete Internet directory, visit our sister site, villas.ai

News Tidbits from Anguilla

British Consular Visit. Visa passport and consular matters can be discussed with the Consular Officer Sarah Jane Verma, when she visits Anguilla on November 4th. Appointments are made by calling the Governor's office at 497-2621

Keg's Palace Reopens in George Hill. This fully airconditioned bar and lounge will now present live jazz, calypso shows, Caribbean nights, family Sunday afternoons, and live bands. Keg's also opened a new "Grill Terrace" with BBQ and snacks. 1-264-497-4026.

Local Activities: Read the Oct 31st issue of The Light, with lots of local stories.

Cuisinart Resort and Spa. I have received a lot of questions about this major hotel project on Rendezvous Bay. I don't have any first hand information. The hotel does not have brochures available for distribution yet, nor does it have email yet, to my knowlege. According to the Anguilla Hotel and Tourism Association, the expected opening date is October 1999 and the contact information is:

Mr. Morris Francbaum
Project Director
Cuisinart Resort & Spa
tel: (264)497-6555
fax: (264)497-6015

Lloyds Guest House

Click to visit Lloyds.ai Looking for a cultural experience in Anguilla with old-fashioned hospitality? Lloyds Guest House has updated their web page at lloyds.ai

Frequent visitor Rita Dispensa ([email protected]) explains why she keeps coming back to Lloyds Guest House, several times a year:

...I have been coming to Lloyds for 6 years. I first heard about the place because as a woman traveling alone I needed a 'safe' place to stay. One of the best things about Lloyds is that it's like being in an Agatha Christie novel - you never know who you will meet at the dinner table.

Telephone: 1-264-497-2351. Email: [email protected]

Weather in Anguilla

Weather Summary Anguilla
Today: 84F 28C 71% Humidity, Overcast November 1
Low temp since last news report 75F 23C
High temp since last news report 88F 31C
Low humidity since last news report 57%
Tropical storm web site Link
Five-day weather forecast Link
Live weather.ai station in Anguilla Link

It has been rainy and overcast with thunderstorms, even drizzle, for the last week!

Upcoming Events in Anguilla

The Anguilla Local News has a Calendar showing events, holidays, and activities for the upcoming 12 months.

Click to visit Moonsplash 97

Moonsplash 99 is set for March 26-28, 1999. This weekend celebration will feature folk, reggae, rock, jazz and blues music. 1999 is the 9th annual Moonsplash celebration which takes placing during the first full moon of the month. 1999 will be the first time Moonsplash takes place under a "blue moon" adding extra mystical quality. Ticket information will be available later this year. For Moonsplash, telephone 1-264-497-2650.

Daylight Savings Time is over in the North. Don't forget that this makes Anguilla 1 hour ahead of the East Coast, 2 hours to Chicago, 3 to Denver and 4 to Los Angeles.

PC Hardware Training Program

[Click to read about the course] The Anguilla Computer Club attraced 12 students to its first computer hardware training program. Ever wonder about that mysterious "CMOS" you are always setting in your computer? The students now know that CMOS stands for "Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconducter", and more importantly, how you set it and what to do when the CMOS battery is dead!

The course was taught on a volunteer basis by Griffin Webster, an Electrical Engineer and Project Manager at Beachshack. The students each paid $150 US, which will help the club buy new computers and received a toolkit, reference book, and derelict computer of their choice to take home and work on!

The Anguilla Computer Club had a computer hardware training class, covering upgrades and troubleshooting. The 12 attendees learned a lot. See the web page for the course with everyone's pictures, and the club's newly refurbished home page as well.

Updates and Feedback

Feedback on SeaHorse:
From: Nikki ([email protected])
To: [email protected]
Subject: Thank You!
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 21:38:18 -0400
I just read your recent newsletter, and I cried... right there was a picture as big as day of 'my beach'. Rendezvous Bay, right there, Pirate's Pier. My husband and I visited Anguilla in June of last year for the first time, and definately not the last (we are planning to return for our 10th anniversary in 3 years - a long time I know -- BooHoo) and we stayed at the Seahorse. I just can't tell you what your pictures did for me... I feel so overwhelmed by my urge to return to "Heaven on Earth". If you ever need pictures of that area again or any others, I have tons. Thank your for bringing me to a place that holds such a large part of my heart each month.

Nikki Shakespeare

And More Feedback on SeaHorse:

Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 22:51:16 -0400
From: Butch Marofsky ([email protected])
Thanks for the updates over the last year or so. You do a very good job and the pictures are great. My wife and I are returning to Beautiful Anguilla in Feb. In fact this month you show the beach where we stayed last time at Seahorse. This time we are staying next door at Cedars Villa. We are both just counting the days. Thanks again for the wonderful job you do.

Butch

Fishing Trip With Junior

[Click to enlarge] Junior is best known for operating a glassbottom boat on Shoal Bay, but he also does fishing trips.

Junior's Web Page:
junior.ai

More on Fishing:
Fishing news story

Here is an email from a visitor who went fishing with Junior:

From: Tom Ligis ([email protected])
To:   [email protected]
Subject: Fishing from Scrub Island with Junior Fleming
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 07:42:13 -0500
Thursday, October 22, 1998, we booked Junior Fleming and his boat for a private day of fishing and snorkeling. He first took us to Little Bay, which was extremely scenic. We fished a short time, but only caught one small reef fish. Junior next took us to Scrub Island for what he mentioned would be shore fishing. We weren't quite sure of fishing from shore when we had paid for a boat for the day, but it turned out to be a great experience.

Upon approaching the island, pelicans were diving on tremendous amounts of baitfish all along the shoreline. Once we went ashore, We were astounded by the size of the fish in the surf. There were HUGE tarpon just rolling throughout the gentle waves tearing through the baitfish. I hooked one of the smaller tarpon, about 36" long, and it gave me a great fight on light spinning tackle. I was almost spoiled twice by the fish on the light line, and had to run along the beach to keep up with the fish. It performed several spectacular jumps right along the beach before it finally broke off after about 15 minutes.

We had several other hookups, but lost all fish because of their size. The only other fish that was landed was by my wife, as a bonita grabbed her offering and proceeded to take her up and down the beach until she finally got it in. We gave the fish to Junior who was planning on giving it to Smitty, of the World famous Smitty's.

It was a memorable day for us on Anguilla.

Thomas Ligis

Just Got Back

[Click to enlarge] The email brings reports on Anguilla every day, even someone's visit to Blue Waters on Shoal Bay Beach West, not East.

For example, here is a recent Internet posting by Dave Sanders ([email protected])

Subject: Just got back
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 19:41:01 -0500
We just returned from a relaxing week in Anguilla. We stayed at Blue Waters and were 'very' satisfied. Being off-season, every time we went out to eat, we were the only people in the restaurant. It was great! Oliver's Restaurant opened right before we left. To me, it had the best view of anywhere we ate.

My favorite spot was Johnno's. It is everyone's idea of a Caribbean beachside bar. The food is excellent and as reasonably priced as anywhere on the island. Our first Saturday night there we listened to the Mussington Brothers. They were outstanding. Our last Saturday night there, we had an excellent dinner. (Johnno even pointed out the fisherman who had caught our meal that morning.)

Being off-season, it was hard to find a decent breakfast. We stumbled upon the Pepper Pot in the Valley which had as good a breakfast as I've had anywhere. The best dinner we had was shrimp at the Old Caribe Restaurant at the Anguilla Great House (try the coconut meatballs, mmm good). ...

... All-in-all, it was a "very" relaxing week. The people there are on "island time". Nothing happens quick, so just slow down, relax, smile and cancel all your appointments.

Web Sites About Anguilla

Arawak Resort has a web page now, with pictures inside and out. And they still have their special offer for year-round villa rental. Email: [email protected]

Cliffvilla.ai is the web page for a luxury villa for sale in Anguilla - unusual modern design, with pool. Unique for Anguilla.

Mainstay Villa at Elsie Bay has a web page. Elsie Bay is a small remote beach east of Little Harbour.

Villa Eros has a web site, very well done and nice villa also. And Stavros, has a freight business in New York and can handle shipments to Anguilla! (email Stavros at [email protected])

Email addresses:

[email protected]
Hibernia Restaurant
[email protected]
Mimi Gratton at the Anguilla Hotel and Tourism Association
[email protected]
The Anguilla Tourist Board
[email protected]
La Sirena Hotel
[email protected]
Tyden Air

Island Car Rental has a new web page at www.islandcar.ai

Stories from the previous and earlier issues.
Find Pirate's Pier Year-round at Arawak
Caribbean Sea View Beautiful Gardens
Yesteryear, Poetry Help for New Tourists

Anguilla Local News

 Beaches
Menus
Hotels
Villas
Tips

Links

www.news.ai

Bob Green

Our villa on Shoal Bay: Bellamare.

And ten minutes away, our villa in St Barths.

© 1998